Not by Works

When the kindness and love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior. -Titus 3:4-6

Did you recognize the central theme in today's passage in which the Lord wants us to understand and build our lives? The truth is this: salvation is from the Lord. His kindness, His goodness, His graciousness, and His love made possible our salvation, our being, our being rescued from sin's power and consequences. Our salvation is a story about what God did for us, not what we did.
How humbling to realize that nothing in me or about me commends me to God. Advocate I have and, truly, the only Advocate I need is His dear Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Everyday I see more clearly the overwhelming reality that I am hopeless without Jesus. Yet because of Jesus and all He did, I am truly a man of hope.
The phrase "not by works" is a great reminder that I contributed nothing to the cleansing of my sins. Instead, "according to His mercy," He washed me and made me clean. Jesus took on the consequences of my sin and didn't give me what I deserved. He also did a great work through His Spirit and brought me to faith in Him.
The Lord never does anything halfway. He has, for instance, "poured out on us abundantly" His Spirit.
Thank God for His super-abounding grace, kindness, and love.

Prayer : Dear Lord, I am forever indebted to You for Your truly amazing grace! In Jesus name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BROOM OF DESTRUCTION

THE EARLY RISERS CRY

REMOVING HINDRANCES TO ADVANCEMENT AND DEMOLISHING STUMBLING BLOCKS