HOPE AMIDST DESPAIR

Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassion fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I hope in Him!"

Lamentations 3:22-24


Whenever we are knocked down, we may be tempted to lose hope. The prophet Jeremiah basically held a funeral for the city of Jerusalem. In the book of Lamentations, his words reflected the heart of God's people who wept over the Babylonian capture of their great city. The verses above show the key moment when Jeremiah went from the lowest point of despair to the heights of hope in God.
In today's passage, Jeremiah told us that God's compassion never fails. In fact, His compassionate acts of love are fresh and new everyday. In light of that truth, Jeremiah declared God's great faithfulness: God is reliable and trustworthy. Although we often see circumstances as harsh and even hopeless, that's not the whole truth. Only God knows the complete picture, and since He is totally faithful to us, we can place our hope in Him.
Jeremiah concluded by declaring that God is his "portion," meaning, "The Lord is enough." Jeremiah reached the point of surrendering to the Lord all his needs. As long as he continued worshiping and trusting  in God, Jeremiah would have hope.

Prayer :

Lord, help me look back over my life and see Your great faithfulness. Help me appreciate what I have in You: You are my portion, and Your presence is the greatest gift in my life.

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BROOM OF DESTRUCTION

THE EARLY RISERS CRY

REMOVING HINDRANCES TO ADVANCEMENT AND DEMOLISHING STUMBLING BLOCKS