GOD KNOWS ME, LOVES ME

 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works, that I know very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes beheld my unformed substance. In your book were written all the days that were formed for me, when none of them as yet existed. Psalm 139:14-16

The scope of Psalm 139 is as broad as the horizon and as personal as a newborn baby. Take some time to read the whole psalm, and discover a God who knows and cares for you. I once went on a five-day retreat to a small hermitage run by a couple who would oversee my time of prayer and reflection. I moved into the trailer nestled deep in the woods on their property. I was excited and a little scared to have five days to myself, by myself. I had brought many books to read, and I had some ideas for projects that I might work on. The first night there, Ron came to talk to me about my plans for the retreat. I told him about what I intended to read and do. He gently suggested that I might want to set all the plans aside for the first day and just spend some time reading Psalm 139. I was open to the possibility, though I wanted to get on with my agenda. Ron suggested I be open to God's agenda.

In the morning, I decided to take a walk to check out my new surroundings, eat a leisurely breakfast, and then read Psalm 139 before moving onto my other tasks. I never made it to the other tasks that day, and I never read most of the books I had so carefully packed. I got caught by God addressing me in Psalms 139.

God knows me so well. God knows "when I sit down or when I rise up" (Psalm 139:2). God knows my thoughts and is acquainted with all my ways (verses 2 and 3). God knew when I was being made in secret, knit together in my mother's womb (verse 13 and 15). I was overwhelmed with God's knowledge and presence in my life. I wanted to both praise God and hide from him.

God wants us to be present where we are. He invites us to see and to hear what is around us and, through it all, to discern the footprints of the Holy Spirit.

Prayer : Dear Lord, help us not to hide from You but to stay hidden in You. 

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BROOM OF DESTRUCTION

THE EARLY RISERS CRY

REMOVING HINDRANCES TO ADVANCEMENT AND DEMOLISHING STUMBLING BLOCKS